- Foam roller decreases the density of the muscle before we try to change the length (stretching)
- Really go after painful spots
- Works on small knots so we can proceed into muscle length
- Just as in an iron, we need heat and pressure to create change
- Stretching occurs with the most flexible or least stiff muscle – that is why we need to roll
- Spend the most time in the areas that bring you the most discomfort.
- Routine should take 20-30 minutes to complete for beginners.
- Foam roller routine should be performed daily. Start rolling 1-2 minutes per body part.
- Stay within your limitations.
1. Plantar Fascia Rolls- While standing, place a tennis ball under one foot. Roll it back and forth to find any painful areas (hot spots). Really go after hot spots for 2-5 minutes. Repeat on other foot.
FOAM ROLLER SEQUENCE
1. Calf (3 Positions - Neutral, Internal, External)
2. Hams (3 Positions - Neutral, Internal, External)
3. Glute Max – Roll back and forth over glute. Repeat other side.
4. Rotators/Periformis - Same position as glute max, now cross same leg at a 90 degree angle over opposite knee for a deeper glute recruitment. Roll back and forth over rotators/periformis.
5. Lumbar Spine (Lower Back) 3 Positions – Neutral, Lower Right and Lower Left
6. Thoracic Spine Extension (Mid-Upper Back) - Hands on forehead, elbows touching and roll out mid and upper back. Increases mobility of T Spine.
7. Lattisimus Dorsi – While lying on your right side, place roller perpendicular to body so it is placed under your right lat. Extend right arm and roll back and forth over lat. Repeat other side.
8. IT Band (Lateral leg from top of outer knee to hip's ball and socket joint) – Lying on side, place foam roller perpendicular to body on IT Band, be able to push with opposite leg as you roll out IT Band. This can be very painful for beginners. Repeat other side.
9. TFL (Hip Flexor) – On Stomach, roll back and forth over tensor fascia late. Repeat other side.
10. Quad – Roll out quad while internally and externally rotating hip/foot. Repeat other side.
11. Adductors (Inner Thigh) - 10 by knee, 10 middle, 10 by pubis
Don't overdo it. Think of your body as a piece of wood. In order to bend a piece of wood without breaking it, daily manipulation of that wood is necessary. A little bit every day is far better than really hard 2-3 times per week. Spend the most amount of time on the areas that are most painful to you. That is where your imbalances lie.
This is the link to the website for which foam rollers I recommend. You will need the 1' or 3' Round version. The 1' round is great for traveling, 3' is great for home rolling. Enjoy!